SPOILER ALERT!

The Curse of Tenth Grave — Sigh!

The Curse of Tenth Grave - Darynda Jones

As you know, I have already railed about the many issues that I find in the books in this series. But I have to see it to the end, so I keep plodding on. I won’t be rehashing those problems because I believe if a reader finds a book problematic, they should just stop reading it. Reading the subsequent books in the same series and then whining about them doesn’t make sense.

That’s why I will confine my ramblings to this book — or try to. The thing with the protagonist is that she is supposed to be a god whose memories have been wiped. So, she doesn’t know how powerful she is or even what powers she has. Okay, sounds logical. What doesn’t make sense is that she spent the whole book claiming she is in over her head and not knowing if she could trust her husband — I’ll come back to this one later. But as soon as the bad guys arrive, she instinctively knows what to do? Not buy-able at all.

Her husband is Satan’s progeny in a very convoluted way. He has been paying child support for a kid that his wife knew nothing about. He is also one of the unholy trinity of demons, which means his wife is unsure how evil is in there in him. He won’t tell her where he is hiding their daughter, presumably for their safety. Yet she continues to trust him and his unhealthy obsession for her that he mistakenly calls love. I don’t get it!

Finally, and this one will go off-track because it is about the series and not just this book, the author keeps on tacking mystery after mystery and leaving us with cliffhangers. When does it stop and get simpler? Oh, after three more books? Okay, I can work with that.

The humor and Cookie were the real superstars, as usual.